Claudia Hommel brings to student and adult singers more than four decades of stage and song career. She approaches each student and each song with insights and energy that come from her own studies with international singer Martha Schlamme, actor/director Alvin Epstein, music director Steve Blier, voice teachers Roberta Vatske (New York), Carolyn Grimes (Detroit), and recently Stephen Smith (Northwestern), Elisabeth Howard and Christine Steyer; Art Song sessions led by Dalton Baldwin, various Shakespeare workshops with John Basil and Stratford Players of Ontario, Meisner technique studio work, and modern dance with Norma Carter and Harriet Berg in Detroit.
On stage, Claudia specializes in cabaret shows and recitals of French chansons, art songs, and American songbook standards—touring to performing arts centers, museums, universities and high schools from coast to coast, from Paris to Peoria. A long-time member of the American Association of Teachers of French, she collaborates closely with secondary schools and colleges across the continent. She has been on faculty at the Community Music Division of DePaul University School of Music in Chicago since 2003.
Born in Paris, France and raised in Detroit, Claudia acquired a Masters in Library Science and worked as an archivist before going on to New York City to pursue a career in theatre and music. Calling Chicago home since 1990, she is a founding member of the Chicago Cabaret Professionals and is a member of the Actors Equity Association and SAG-AFTRA (the union of screen, television and radio artists). The Illinois Arts Council has selected her as an ArtsTour Roster artist since 1998 and as Arts-in-Education artist since 1999. She has presented clinic sessions for Illinois Music Educators Association. Her Cabaret-Paree and Jazz Fauré Project recordings are available on the Maison Clobert label.
Visit www.cabaret-paree.com for her upcoming events and more.
- Illinois ArtsTour Roster provides fee support to Illinois non-profit organizations engaging artists including Claudia Hommel. Applications are available at the Illinois Arts Council website or call 312/814-4992.
- The Illinois Arts Council Arts-in-Education roster gives fee support for artists-in-residence programs.
- YouTube—Claudia’s published video channel
- Founding member of Chicago Cabaret Professionals.
- Chicago Tribune: “An American from Paris”
- Article de France-Amerique: “Claudia Hommel pour l’amour du cabaret”
- Claudia’s Résumé
- Claudia is co-founder and Executive Director of Working In Concert